Saturday, January 1, 2011

Thoughts on the new year

Greetings,

And a Happy New Year to you all! For me , this new year represents a new slate, a new beginning. Now if only I will remember to date my checks "2011".

Yesterday, we had a New Year's lunch at Vingenzo's in Woodstock, Georgia. We met with good friends that we have known since our "Baptist Church" years. They also made the journey back to the Catholic Church and we are now attending the same church.

Now this is not your ordinary Italian American style cuisine...like Olive Garden. Not to put it down, Olive Garden has its place and it is very popular. But Vingenzo's...well, what can I say, it is authentic Napolitan food prepared by a fine chef. In house, they make their own bufala mozarrella cheeses, pastas and homemade sausages. They have a wood fired pizze oven that bakes pizzas at 800 degrees.

We decided on sharing a pizza as an appetizer. I forget the name of it, but it had tomato sauce, sausage and the aforementioned homemade mozzarella. The crust was cracker thin as it should be and it was wonderful at each bite.

Since they also make 4 different pastas each day, we had a good choice. I decided on the Pasta con Vongole, linguine with fresh clams. Also, had a salad with green olives, spinach and balsamic vinagrette. Every plate was clean at the end of our feast. Food and friends....it doesn't get much better than that!

All in all, it was a wonderful time to celebrate the coming new year. And then we went home and I was in my pjs at 5 PM. Ha! So much for ringing in the new year. We were asleep by 10.

On another note, I read a prayer from St. Francis that I would like to share:

"Lord of all longing, in our society of instant gratification, patience is not a cultivated virtue. Remind me that I do not need to immediately have all the things I long for and all the answers to my questions. In the waiting, we often learn much about ourselves, come to a greater awareness of what is truly important in life, and gain a better appreciation for the things we must await. "  St. Francis of Assisi

Blessings to all who read these words today!

2 comments:

hootnonny said...

Charlotte, the pic of the church is awesome, made more incredibly beautiful by your artistic use of texture! And the prayer by St. Francis is just what I need. It's amazing that the prayer that is so true today was so true over a hundred years ago!

You lunch sounds divine. I'm with you...love that thin crusted pizza!

I wish you and yours abundant blessings through the new year. Betty

Gail Dixon said...

Oh, I think I'm going to have to "borrow" that St. Francis quote! He is my favorite saint, so you'd think I would have heard it already. :/ Glad you had a good time with friends.

Post a Comment

 
© Charlotte Wilson
CoffeeShop Designs