Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday, Monday

This turned out to be a busier day than I had planned. I was going to write a tutorial on making a texture, for fun. I am surely not an expert, but I just wanted to try and show what you can do on PSE.

Since Katie was off today and is starting her classes tomorrow, we decided to go to lunch. And not just any old run of the mill lunch places. :o) We went to H-Mart. Now H-Mart is a mostly Asian supermarket, specializing in all kinds of exotic items. So it was an adventure.
In the front of the store, is a kind of food court: Korean, Japanese, Mandarin, Sushi, and Vietnamese. We were both in the mood for Korean, walked up and placed our order. This was definitely not fast food. They prepare each dish fresh. It was hard to wait as we were already past lunch time and were starving. Finally my dish was called. But Katie had to wait about 5-10 minutes for hers. Here is what I got:
My Korean Sampler
In the upper left was a special seaweed soup. Right beneath is Kim Chi, a kind of pickled cabbage. The top Middle, a nice ginger slaw. To the right is chicken in a spicy sauce. Below, rice, of course. And the bottom middle is a vegetable fritter. I give good marks for everything but the seaweed soup. It may have been wonderful to some, but not my taste.

Here is Katie's dish:



Bee Bim Bop
 This is a combination of vegetables, beef and rice, topped with a fried egg. You are to mix it all together and top it with a Korean chili sauce, kind of a Korean catsup. She loved it but like me, she didn't care for the seaweed soup. And she gave me her Kim Chee which I am adddicted to.

After lunch we headed for a buggy and started perusing the aisles. We saw all kinds of interesting cooking ware, serving pieces, fancy chopstix, tea sets. They had strange brands of dish soap, facial concoctions, hair cream and oil.

I have never seen such a selection of meats and types of seafood and fish since Harry's Farmer's Market. Some were in tanks still swimming.

The spices, herbs and exotic produce were enticing too. A lot of items were in different languages so I didn't even know what they were. 

All in all, it was a good day. I am back home and Elmo is not liking that I am blogging and not sitting with him so I guess I will call it a day.

Blessings to you all!

2 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

We have an Asian area of town that has H-Mart. The one and only time I went I truly felt like I was in another country. Couldn't read most of the labels and everyone around me was either Vietnamese or Korean, and they stared. 0_o I know what being a minority feels like now. Overall it was a good experience, though. I bought several items and lots of fresh veggies for an Asian dinner I was preparing for friends.

Charlotte Wilson said...

Gail,

I didn't know that there was another H-Mart. Shows how ignorant I am.
I know what you mean about being in the minority. The Japanese look upon us as savages. I have been to Japan and although they are very polite, smile and bow, you dont' know what is really behind "the face".

My daughter was born in Seoul, S. Korea. We adopted her when she was 3 months old. She also feels in the minority when we were at H-Mart. They definitely see her as different. Katie describes herself as a twinkie; yellow on the outside, white on the inside. :o)

Post a Comment

 
© Charlotte Wilson
CoffeeShop Designs