Saturday, March 5, 2011

Focus 52 entry for March 6, 2011 - Theme: aged


This vase is very old, given to me by my father's aunt, Marya, who was about 90 years old when she died. She was very eccentric and claimed that she traced our ancestors back to William the Conqueror. About a year before she died, she had to have her leg amputated because of an infected toe. Remember, medicine was not what it is today.

Well, this just freaked me out. I was about 4 years old and very impressionable. Aunt Marya was very kind and always made sure that there was ginger ale in her house when we came to visit. But I wouldn't touch it because....well, just because I somehow thought that everything was contaminated in her house.

I have only recently become more comfortable with seeing amputated limbs. Who knows why we have these phobias?

Anyway, this vase is probably about 100 years old, hand painted in Japan.

5 comments:

hootnonny said...

What special, if not scary, memories to go with the beautiful old vase. Love the texture and framing. Love the text, "cherish the old." Just hope folks around me adhere to that saying!

Nancy said...

what a gorgeous vase. this reminds me of my grandmother who lived to be 94. towards the end, everytime we visited her she would give us her crystal and other little things (old things, very old things) to take home. it was such a weird feeling when i realized what she was doing.

janjan0000 said...

So pretty!

Gail Dixon said...

Cool story to go with the beautiful vase. Your aunt sounds so interesting. I like the way you framed the photo and the wonderful use of texture. As far as phobias, I could never be a nurse because my grandmother made me extremely fearful of germs. My husband calls me Niles (after Frasier's brother from the tv show). :)

Rosemary Aubut said...

Great job Charlotte! Very interesting story to go with it! It is amazing how impressionable children are! Glad you kept her vase for all to enjoy!

Post a Comment

 
© Charlotte Wilson
CoffeeShop Designs